Thursday 18 April 2013

Cookbook Challenge Week 15 - Vegan Junk Food



This week I have been cooking from Vegan Junk Food by Lane Gold, I had high expectations for this book but was a little disappointed in some of the recipes.


Chickpea Tuna Melt - The tuna was not great, it was OK but not very tasty and just didn't taste as good as other versions from The Sexy Vegan and Happy Herbivore:




Tater tot breakfast casserole - This casserole was actually quite good, the tofu on the bottom solidified and become a bit like an omelette. The taste was good but I felt it was lacking something.

Bacon Egg Salad - The salad (tofu & chickpeas for eggs, bacons bits, mayo etc) again was OK but a bit tasteless, it could really have done with more flavour - possibly some soya cheese.

French Onion Soup Casserole - This is when things turned around, this was delicious. The soup base was tasty and had lots of depth, the bread soaked up some of the soup so it was gooey and the cheese finished it off well. I will probably make this again:


The Portabellow Cheesesteak was really good as well - mushrooms, onions & peppers fried with vegan Worcester sauce topped with soya cheese - just lovely:


Sloppy Joes - this was the best recipe I tried, I've never had sloppy joes before but this was lovely - meaty, tomatoey and delicious. Will definitely make this again:

Overall I did like this book and will be trying some of the other recipes (the onion dip looks devine) but what I found annoying was its reliance on specific branded foods that we don't have in the UK (Gimme Lean sausages - had to use Frys, Tater Tots - used chopped roasted potato, Vegan beef bouillon - I used brown Miso).


No comments:

Post a Comment