Thursday 1 August 2013

Cookbook Challenge Week 31 - The Vegan Slow Cooker

This week I have been cooking from The Vegan Slow Cooker by Kathy  Hester, I have been looking forward to using this book as it means I can be lazy. Throw things in the slow cooker and job done. Most of the recipes turned out well but there were a few failures....

Wholewheat Pumpkin Gingerbread - this was almost a complete failure. The flavour was wonderful, but my slow cooker seems to cook too fast and unevenly. After 30 minutes the bread was burnt on the outside and raw in the middle. It tasted good. But was still a failure:
 


Weekend Tofu and Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole:
I didn't have time to make this in the slow cooker, so I used the microwave instead. Bit of a mistake that one. This I think would have been good if I had used the slow cooker but it just tasted like sloppy salty tofu:


And now for the good-

Cheesey Broccoli Rice - this was excellent - rice, nooch, vegan cheese and broccoli. Just  delicious, it was really good cold the next day for lunch:


Chili Relleno Casserole - this was supposed to be like a soufflé made from silken tofu & corn. It turned out really well, it was a bit like a spicy cheesey bread. I will be making this again:


Chikn and Dumplings - this was a really tasty dish, a bit thin and the dumplings were very hard but it still tasted good:


Hot and Sour Soup - I have never made hot & sour soup before but this turned out well, it was full of mushrooms & tofu and tasted great, I served it over rice noodles:


Soy Chorizo & Black Bean Stew - this was excellent, full of flavour and protein, it worked well warm for dinner and cold the next day for lunch:


Easy Very Chickpea Biryani - this was another good recipe, again a bit thin but still full of flavour and a lovely dish to come home to at night:

Be-My-Valentine Chocolate Oatmeal - this recipe used far more water than vegan milk and I found it a bit tasteless, however it was a simple way of making oatmeal that I will be trying again (using less water and more milk in future):


Overall this was a good book, I had to adjust the cooking times quite a lot as most of the recipes make 4-6 servings and I halved them, I also had to take into account a slow cooker that isn't that slow so most of these ended up taking far less time than they should (no more than 3 hours at most) but most of the recipes came out really well and I will definitely be using this book again, especially in winter when I want to come home to a nice warming soup or stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment