Sunday 1 June 2014

June Cookbook Review - The Oh She Glows Cookbook

Hello
This months cookbook review is of The Oh She Glows Cookbook by Angela Liddon.


I have been eagerly awaiting this book and this is what I thought:


Sunrise Scramble - This was a pretty boring scramble recipe. I have had far better (Skinny Bitch, Authentic Chinese Cuisine, Vegan Brunch to name 3). This just didn’t compete.




On The Mend Spiced Red Lentil Kale Soup - This was a thin and hot soup, it was enjoyable and definitely good for you but not my favourite recipe. A bit lacklustre, but probably just the thing you need if your not well



Indian Lentil Cauliflower Soup - Another boring one, I doubled the spices and it still wasn't great.I wouldn't bother making this again


Eat Your Greens Detox Soup - This was horrible, I didn't take a photo or eat it. Yuk.

Soul Soothing African Peanut Stew - This was good, it had a nice flavour and although it sounds calorie packed it wasn't. A very nice stew, not as good as the recipe in Nut Butter Universe but still good:



Perfected Chickpea Salad Sandwich - This was a good chickpea salad, but not perfect. Not as good as the Sexy Vegans and not as good as my long standing favourite from the PETA Vegan College Cookbook, but still nice anyway



Protein Power Goddess Bowl - This was surprisingly good, I didn’t think it would be (its bone achingly healthy) but the dressing is divine and really made this dish. Definitely one to make again.



Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes and Easy Mushroom Gravy - This was good, the mash was filling and tasty and the gravy made it feel sinful. The gravy was not as good as others I have tried (Happy Herbivore Light and Lean being the current fave), but definitely very good.


Crowd Pleasing Tex Mex Casserole - Was this crowd pleasing? Damn Yeah. It was good in a “I want to lick the plate clean even with an entire room full of people watching” way. Full of flavour and some of my favourite things (rice, tortillas etc)  - this is definitely worth making



Spa Day Bircher Muesli  - I have read (and tried) the original recipe for Bircher Muesli in Maximillian Bircher-Benner’s book Prevention Of Incurable Disease and I have to say the Oh She Glows version is a big improvement (being Vegan is a major one). This recipe is absolutely flawless, filled with flavour & texture (from dried fruits & seeds) this recipe is a must.


Apple Pie Oatmeal - Divine, flavour filled (apple oatmeal, cinnamon, walnut, coconut) and a wonderful breakfast on a winters morning.



Broccoli & Cashew Cheese Quinoa Burrito - This was really good, the cashew cheese sauce was excellent and made this dish delightful. I used the sauce in another recipe (American Vegan Kitchens No Tuna Noodle Casserole) and it worked there as well.



Overall, I did like this book. Some of the recipes were not great but the ones that were good completely tipped the scales and were brilliant.There are a few recipes that I still want to try (chocolate cake, all the other breakfasts, tomato basil pasta, salt and vinegar chickpeas, glo bars, fudgy mocha pudding cake, yolos). I think its a good book, very healthy and worth buying, but a few of the recipes are misses.

 

1 comment: