Tuesday 2 December 2014

December Cookbook Review - Vegan Casseroles

This months cookbook review is of Vegan Casseroles by Julie Hasson.

Julies other book, Vegan Diner is a firm favourite of mine and I will be using it for many years to come.
I got this book the day it came out and could not wait to start cooking from it, I made 18 recipes and here is what I thought. 


Campfire Chilli
I have made the chilli from Vegan Diner and loved it; this recipe is quite similar and is just as delicious. 


Cheesy Sauce
The cheesy sauce is used as an ingredient for several of the recipes in the book, I made it a day in advance and it solidified slightly, but returned to a liquid when heated. It was completely delicious with a garlicky smoky flavour; it was also nice and creamy from the cashews. I subbed the oat flour for Doves Farm gluten free flour and I don't think it made a difference


Good Gravy!
This is another recipe that is used in other recipes. I didn't have beef style bouillons (hard to find in the UK) so I used my normal beefy standby - dashes of Worcester style sauce, braggs, tamari, yeast extract and a sprinkling of Italian herbs. The gravy was very flavourful and I will be making this again.

Mac and Gravy Casserole
Utterly Delicious, macaroni, good gravy, peas and broccoli topper with crisps (I used Walkers Pepperoni Stars) this is a delicious, filling and very very good casserole

Mac and Cheese Casserole
Macaroni with the Cheesy sauce baked and topped with Violife, what could be better?


Rice Broccoli Casserole
I love broccoli rice and cheese, this recipe uses the cheesy sauce recipe with soy chicken as well. I subbed the rice for zero calorie rice and it still worked well, it was delicious


Cornbread
I have only made cornbread once before and really enjoyed it, this recipe didn't disappoint. It was slightly drier than the last recipe that I tried but very tasty and enjoyable


Nacho Cheesy Sauce (can be seen on the next recipe)
This was a very similar recipe to the Cheesy Sauce, just as delicious with a nice spicy kick to it

Loaded Nacho Fries
Fries, Cheesy Sauce, Refried Beans all in one dish? Gorgeous and very tasty and warming in these cold times!


Hearty Fiesta Rice Casserole
This was one of my favourite recipes - rice, nacho cheese, soy chicken and sweet corn. Completely delicious



Jambalaya
Again jambalaya is something that I have tried a few times but don't eat regularly. This recipe as expected was spicy, flavourful and rather health


Veggies and Dumplings
******** Favourite Recipe ********
The veggie part of this is nice, the dumplings are just amazing. Everyone who has this book should make this recipe




Mujadara
I served this the next day cold and it was very good, I think it would probably be better warm but it was still a lovely lunch

Skillet Chilaquiles 
I love this recipe. Onion, Garlic, Bell Pepper, Tofu, Corn, Tortillas, Tacos and Sauce. It was great. I burnt the tacos but it still tasted fantastic.  This was a contender for my favourite recipe



Smokey Corn and Cheddar Quiche
I have never tried putting sweet corn in a quiche and very rarely use cashews or firm tofu in quiche but this worked perfectly and had a great texture



Zucchini Basil Lasagne
Admittedly I have never made lasagne without a cheese substitute but this worked well. I love basil and tomato so this suited me down to the ground


Taco Casserole
All the ingredients of a taco in a casserole, topped with lettuce and tacos. It was fantastic
I really enjoyed this and will be making this again. Another contender for favourite recipe!


Cream of mushroom soup
This is the best cream of mushroom soup I have ever made. So gorgeous. I made the base, froze it then cooked it the night I wanted it and it was perfect.


Overall, as with vegan diner I loved every recipe I made. Another cracking book from Julie Hasson

No comments:

Post a Comment